Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Flash Mob Performance and Music as a Detriment



So, I am taking a break from my previous analysis of musical compositions in movie adaptations of Hamlet. I am planning on doing at least three more posts before concluding my examinations. You can find the first two posts here and here.

This past Saturday, I participated in a Flash Mob rendition of a soliloquy found in Romeo and Juliet. I thought the presentation went very well as far as planning and memorization went. However, there was one thing that deterred from our magnificent presentation....the mall background MUSIC!!! As you can tell by the majority of my blog posts, I tend to believe that music enhances the worth of performances. Music usually draws viewers into a performance and helps them become more engaged with the work. During our Flash Mob presentation, the music drowned out the vocals of all the participants making it a little detrimental to the success of our rendition. Now, I understand that music can work in a positive and a negative way.

All in all the Flash Mob performance went great! It was the first time that I had ever participated in any type of performance piece and, I must admit, I was a little bit nervous and embarrassed at the start. However, when it was all said and done, I ended up enjoying myself! Major thanks to Whitney for putting the whole thing together. If anyone ever wants to do a second go-around, I'm up for it!

Here is a link to the actual video of our Flash Mob performance posted on Whitney's blog.