Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Interpretations of Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar
Che Guevara
So, I thought I would take Professor Burton's advice and use our book to do some research. Just like he reassured us in class, I found some very interesting things about Julius Caesar by just reading the introduction to the play. In the introduction, it makes reference to various interesting ways in which Julius Caesar has been adapted. Two of my favorite adaptational ideas are the Jerry Turner adaptation, in which Caesar is likened to South American revolutionary Che Guevara, and Orson Welles' adaptation, in which Caesar is made out to resemble Benito Mussolini. As far as I have read, both adaptations were received positively.

Here is a link to the review of the Turner adaptation (Warning: To read the whole article you must be a member of JSTOR): Che Guevara and Julius Caesar

Here is a link to the review of the Wells adaptation: Fascism and Julius Caesar

I am also including a link to the wikipedia article about the 1953 film adaptation of the play: Maniewics' Film Adaptation

Enjoy!