Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Shakespeare and Rap Music



So I was inspired by Sara's interview with Ian Mckellen website that we discussed today in class and thought I would look up some celebrities opinions or adaptations of Shakespearean classics. While searching, I came up with the bright idea to do a search of rap music renditions of Shakespeare and found the following gem! Shakespeare and Rap Music. For all of you rap coinsures, an English rapper named Akala decided that he would try to get British youth excited about learning Shakespeare by turning some of Shakespeare's greatest works into new-age rap songs. The article that I have posted was featured in the guardian newspaper in England. Watch the video on the website and read the article. It is very interesting! Question: How do you feel about turning Shakespeare into rap music? Is it productive? Is it disrespectful? Tell me what you think! I personally think it is a great and original idea that might help youth enjoy and get involved with the learning process.

Just to give everyone a quick update on my reading, I finished Henry IV a few days ago and have started the Taming of the Shrew. I am looking for some ideas on how to read the Taming of the Shrew. Does anyone, preferably who has already read the work, have any ideas of things I might want to focus my studies on? I appreciate the help!